Young people face many challenges in their lives and for some the teenage years are the most difficult. Adolescence brings with it physical and personal changes along with social and academic pressures, all of which place increased stress upon the young person and the family. Counselling can help play a supportive role at this time providing a safe space for your teenager to express their feelings and gain perspective on issues that may be concerning them.
If your son or daughter is showing any of these typical signs of adolescent psychological problems, then counselling could help:
Difficulty in coping with daily life , Excessive worrying, Extended periods of depression and lethargy, Noticeable changes in eating, Disturbed sleeping patterns, References to suicide or self-harm, Apparent changes in personality, Volatile mood, Drug/alcohol misuse, Pronounced demonstrations of aggression.
I hold a Diploma in Person Centred Counselling and a Post Qualifying Diploma in Counselling Children & Adolescents. I have also completed a trauma training (Babette Rothschild). My approach is primarily talking-based, however I also incorporate other approaches as appropriate:
- Drawing and other creative ways of expressing
- CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) and ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy)
- Mindfulness and relaxation techniques
I work in private practice and more recently held the post of school counsellor in a secondary school setting.
In the words of my clients/ parents of clients:
• Thank you for helping to make me the happier person I am today – Lucy age 15
• Thank you for all that you are doing with Amy she is definitely happier than when we first met you – Parent of Amy age 14
• Thank you Nikki, you are great at your job and have helped me greatly get my views across and helped me make my life better – Anthony age 13
• I can not recommend Nikki highly enough. Following a difficult few years witnessing his Dad go through an operation, pneumonia and intensive chemotherapy, my son was overwhelmed by the demands of starting secondary school. Despite being a reserved character, he is now able to communicate his feelings and has a multitude of strategies to draw upon when feeling anxious. We still have some way to go, but I am confident that we now have a boy who is more self-aware and is better equipped to deal with the pressures of life. This is all thanks to Nikki’s warm and gentle approach. Her weekly sessions were a real comfort blanket for him during his most difficult times. – Parent of 12 year old
Location: I work from a room in my house in a conveniently located part of Stroud, there is free on-street parking available.
Fees: I offer a free 20 minute phone consultation. Further sessions are £45 per session (50 minutes). I offer some concessions for those on benefits. I am also registered as a provider with Aviva healthcare and BUPA.
If you would like to find out more or to book an initial consultation please feel free to contact me.